Mashed Potato, Cheese & Bacon Tortilla
My son calls these “Slovak quesadillas,” since they are made from leftover perogy filling. You don’t have to start with perogies, of course; any leftover mashed potatoes will do.
Mashed Potato, Bacon and Cheese Tortilla
This leftover idea came to me the last time we made perogies and had a lot of extra potato-cheese filling. I thought I’d try using it to make a grilled sandwich of sorts, with bacon, but in a tortilla instead of bread. It was a huge hit. Note that everything here is to taste, depending on the quantity of potatoes you have and number of tortillas you want to make.
Servings: 4 or more tortillas
- mashed potatoes, leftover or freshly made
- extra old cheddar cheese, grated
- ground black pepper
- flour tortillas, store-bought or homemade
- Cook bacon. Drain on paper towels and let cool slightly then chop into bite-sized pieces.
- If using leftover mashed potatoes, heat them in the microwave or a pot. If using fresh, they will already be hot. Add grated cheese and ground pepper to potatoes. Stir until cheese is melted into potatoes. Taste and add more of cheese or pepper, to taste. (See photo above for approximate colour and consistency.)
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add a bit of oil. (You can also drain the oil from the pan you used to cook the bacon and use the remaining oil for frying the tortillas. Just be sure you have only a small amount of bacon fat left so the tortillas don’t get too greasy.)
- Spread a layer of potato cheese filling on one half of a tortilla. Sprinkle with cooked bacon. Fold closed and place in the heated frying pan. Fry until lightly golden; flip and fry the other side until lightly golden and filling is hot.
- Cut into wedges and serve with your favourite dip: salsa, sour cream, ranch, or whatever you prefer. Add a side of raw vegetables or salad to complete the meal.
- You can use any leftover potatoes, as long as they can be mashed into a fairly thick consistency. If they were roasted or baked and have skin, that is fine.
- Use whatever size tortilla you have on hand. I sometimes make my own using this recipe from The Cafe Sucre Farine, but store-bought ones are absolutely fine.
Image of potatoes by Mariia Sultanova | Dreamstime.com