A green smoothie that lists kale as one of its ingredients may sound awful, but you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the taste. I served this in my school snack program using a combination of kale, spinach, and Swiss chard. It was a huge hit. A boy in grade 1 told me: “I don’t like spinach, but you can’t even taste it!” And that is the key to adding vegetables to any smoothie–mask the flavour. This recipe does it beautifully.
- 1/4 cup or so mango, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1/4 cup or so pineapple, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 oz frozen chopped greens (kale, Swiss chard, or spinach or a combination) See Notes, below.
- 1/4 cup mango juice, unsweetened
- water to thin, if necessary
- Put everything in your blender & blend until smooth. If it is too thick, add water as necessary and blend again.
- For a bigger serving, just double or triple the amounts.
- You can also use fresh greens, but not a full ounce. Use a small handful, or about 10 grams, which is about one-third of an ounce.
Kale image by Marina Vorontsova | Dreamstime